Monday - Friday
8:30 - 2:00

(973) 948-3520

133 Route 645
Sandyston, NJ  07826

Construction Department

Department Information


Robert W. Huber, Construction Official

973-948-3520 x201

Theresa Doyle, Secretary to Construction Official


Construction Office Hours:

Monday through Friday

8:30 am to 12 pm


Construction Official Office Hours:

Tuesday    12:30 pm to 2 pm

                  5:30 pm to 7 pm

Thursday  10:30 am to 12 pm


Inspections by Subcode:

Building:    Tuesday and Thursday

Electric:     Tuesday and Thursday

Plumbing:  Tuesday and Thursday

Fire:  Monday and Thursday


Robert Huber:  Plumbing and Building

Andrew Simoinis:  Electrical

Charles Luxton:  Fire

Where do I start?

Are you planning on an addition, accessory structure (shed, garage, pole barn), deck, swimming pool, etc.?

If you are adding or altering the footprint of any existing structure, you must start with Zoning.

Print and fill out the "Zoning Application" which can be found on this page and also provide a copy of your survey.  On this copy of your survey you will draw what you are requesting approval for with sizes, along with distances to your property lines and other structures on your property.  It is also helpful for you to denote the location of your septic/well and the distance to those utilities.

Please contact Ms. Brothman with questions via phone (973-948-3520 x205 or email (

After you have zoning approval you will then need your Construction Permits.  These permits are broken down into different areas:  Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Fire and Mechanical.

Not every project needs zoning.  If you are changing the footprint of your property or exisiting structures, you need zoning approval (additions, sheds, pools, etc.)

Permits are also required for alterations, renovations, propane/oil tanks, air conditioning, generators, woodstoves, pellet stoves,etc.  It is always best to contact the Construction Department to find out if a permit is needed and what is needed.  Robert Huber, Construction Official and Theresa Doyle, Construction Secretary, will be happy to answer questions and guide you in the right direction.

Shared Services Agreements

Sandyston Township is the lead agency for Shared Services Agreements with 
Montague Township and Hampton Township.     These Shared Services Agreements are for Construction Official, Building Inspector, Plumbing Subcode Official, Electrical Subcode Official and Fire Subcode Official (Fire = Hampton only).
Sandyston Township also has a Shared Service Agreement for the Construction Official/Plumbing Subcode Official with Frankford Township.

Home Improvement Contractor License

If you are a Home Improvement Contractor, you must be licensed with the State of New Jersey, Division of Consumer Affairs. Click here and you will be directed to the Division of Consumer website to obtain an application packet or information on how to contact the Division ofConsumer Affairs directly.


Smoke Detector, Carbon Monoxide, Fire Extinguisher Inspection

Per Chapter 71 "Fire Prevention", Section 71-10 "Certificate of Smoke Detector and Carbon Monoxide", a certificate of smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarm (CSDCMAC) shall be required per N.J.A.C. 5:70-2.3, and the fee shall be based upon the amount of time remaining before the change of occupant is expected.  

Contact Theresa Doyle, 973-948-3520 x201 with questions or to obtain a form.

CSDCMAC are required each time there is a change in tenant or upon the sale of a residential dwelling.

Smoke Detector Carbon Monoxide Fire Extinguisher Information

Smoke Detector Carbon Monoxide Fire Extinguisher Fees

Forms must be picked up at the Sandyston Township Municipal Building between 8:30 am and 2 pm. 

Online Portal

online portal image

  • Submit Construction Permits
  • Submit Inspection Requests 
  • View Permit Status

The Sandyston Township Construction Department has an online portal to aid homeowners, businessowners and contractors in submitting construction permits, requesting inspections, and checking on permit status. Homeowners, businessowners and contractors must first register and then sign in for complete portal access.

 If you have any questions on how to use the SDL portal, please contact Theresa Doyle in the Construction Department at 973-948-3520 x201.